After much exploration of how to open in a way that protects the safety of Nether Springs guests and team during this pandemic, it seems that a way in the wilderness has appeared.
We are delighted to be extending Nether Springs hospitality again from October 19th. We have designed Monday -Friday retreats that allow for space at Nether Springs to be with God in the cell of your own heart (and en suite room!) for the inner-pilgrimage. Also, we will provide resources to help those on retreat with their own transportation to explore the rich Christian heritage of Northumbria through outer, physical pilgrimage to nearby Celtic Sites. The Nether Springs Chapel, Poustinia, Labyrinth, gardens and woods and local country and coastal walks are available to all guests and provide time with God in Creation and space for the inner-outer pilgrimage as well.
To learn more and to book:
Nether Springs compliance with Covid-19 Government advice
- Although we will obviously miss the robust (and sometimes even rowdy!) communal experience at Nether Springs, for the time being Nether Springs will be a quiet house. Reducing talking in an indoor environment reduces spread of virus.
- Retreats will run from a Monday afternoon to a Friday morning. Guests will be given a time for checking in on the Monday to keep social distancing.
- There will be no weekend retreats at this time, as we need to leave a 72-hour period between guests to enable any possible virus to dissipate and our team to be able to clean safely and thoroughly for the arrival of new guests.
- Each room is en suite and will include drink-making facilities, comfy seats and desk.
- We cannot facilitate groups due to social distancing, but members of the same household can share a room / dining table.
- Guests are encouraged to sit (stand, dance, kneel, rest, etc.) in their own rooms instead of in the common rooms of Nether Springs. Guests are also encouraged to make full use of the prayer-soaked gardens, woodland and amazing gifts of Northumberland.
- The common rooms will be used for meals in order to comply with social distancing.
- Sadly, we will not be able to gather for our prayer offices indoors in Caedmon or the Chapel, but we shall ring the bells and keep a common rhythm of prayer on-site. A prayer booklet will be in your room as well as a Bible and copies of Celtic Daily Prayer 1 & 2. For those who are interested and can bring their own devices, we are also exploring being able to offer free wi-fi in each room, so as to connect for prayer offices online.
With thanks to a very small group who have been onsite throughout lock-down, Nether Springs has not been empty. The rhythm of prayer has been maintained and the space has remained inhabited and loved. We are joyfully preparing now to reengage with a ministry of hospitality and continue to pray and trust that God would send the ‘people of His choosing’ and timing to our Mother House.